M.A.C. describes their Lustre lipstick formula as a “lightweight formula with easy glide, sheer to medium buildable coverage with a lustrous finish”.
The misunderstood lippie.
When you open up a tube, sometimes it’s not the color you’re going to get on the lips. It’s what I like to call a “lipgloss in a tube”. The coverage is sheer but buildable. Definitely not a long-wear lipstick: about 3 hours without drinking or eating but you’ll have to reapply. You can get almost full opacity (medium coverage) but you have to swipe many times. The above picture of Fresh Brew is applied with a brush from my Pro Lip Kit. With mattes and liquid-to-mattes being all the rage today, these seem to take a back seat. But they’re a welcome break from those pigmented and dry finishes. They leave lips moisturized and can soften an intense eye look.
Did You Know?
You can check out my swatches and reviews from previous collections of Lustres on my old blog:
M.A.C. All About Orange Collection – released in 2013 had a few lustres now permanent colors.
M.A.C. A Fantasy of Flowers Collection LE– released in 2014 featured an entire collection dedicated to the Lustre finish.
Click on the link above to see swatches of:
- Dreaming Dahlia
- Heavenly Hybrid
- Fleur D’Coral
- Rose Lily
- Naked Bud
M.A.C. (38 current) Lustre Permanent Lipsticks:
- See Sheer: Grapefruit pink
- Capricious: Fanciful rose plum
- Catty: Light cream pink
- Cockney: Sheer yellow red with multidimensional pearl
- Flamingo: Light milky bright coral
- Freckletone: Neutral peach
- French Twist: Light pinky nude
- Gold XIXI: Lemony pastel yellow
- Gossamer Wing: Dirty beige w/gold pearl (from Faerie Whispers)
- High Tea: Beiged pink with pearl
- Highlights: Very pale creamy peach
- Hug Me: Flesh pink
- Jubilee: Naked beigey-pink
- Lady Bug: Yellow tomato
- Lipblossum: Shimmering pink
- Lovelorn: Emotive blue pink
- Lustering: Outspoken pink
- Midimauve: Rosy mauve with pearl
- Milan Mode: Sheer deep pink with multidimensional pearl
- Patisserie: Sheer creamy neutral pink
- Plink!: Warm seashell pink
- Plumful: Blossoming rose-plum
- Politely Pink: Dirty pink
- Pressed & Ready: Soft whitened nude
- Pretty Please: Pale pink pearl
- Razzledazzler: Light cream peach
- Real Doll: Light pinky lilac
- Real Redhead: Mauve nude
- Shy Shine: Shimmering Mauve
- Spice It Up!: Mulled brown berry
- Sweetie: Ultra-sweet pink
- Syrup: Cloudy pink
- Tangerine Dream: Warm orange cream
- Touch: Peachy Cinnamon
Do you have a fav Lustre lippie?
Stay sweet lovelies!